M8 features a multi-functional browser where you'll find all samples, sequences etc in your project, but also your MUX presets, VST plug-ins, sample files, MuClips, MIDI files etc...
It's a central place from which you can easily preview and drag-drop objects around.
In MuLab the project browser can be opened via View Panel at the right of the main menu.
The browser has 3 main parameters:
- What: What defines what kind of items you want to see. Hold your mouse over the "What" buttons at the top, a tool tip will tell you what they represent.
- Where: Where defines the folder location.
- Which: Which defines a name filter for example if you input "bass" you'll only see items with "bass" in the name. This filter is case-insensitive.
You can drag-drop items from the browser to various parts of the app, and you can also drag-drop objects from your project into the browser so to save them. Drag-drop is a very intuitive way of working and MuLab supports all kinds of drag-drops, too many to list all drag-drop relations individually.
So how do you know which drag-drops work? Well just try it and if the mouse cursor shows a drag-drop object picture then it's working, else if the mouse cursor shows a stop sign, it's an unsupported drag-drop operation.
About the "Resend" feature: When you have drag-dropped an object on something, the Resend will auto drag-drop the current selected item to that last location again.
Sounds theoretical so a practically example: If you have dropped a VST plug-in somewhere then you can quickly resend = redrop another VST plug-in on that same destination, which may be more handy than having to effectively drag-drop again.
Note you can also assign a shortcut to this Resend function!
Most items in the browser can be previewed. When automatic previewing is enabled, selecting an item will preview automatically it.
When automatic previewing is off, you can still double-click an item to preview it. Auto-preview can be switched on/off using the [A] button at the bottom-left of the browser.
- As soon as you have previewed a sample, there is an "Audio File Previewer" sample player in the Project Modular Area. Open its editor to change the volume.
- When you insert a module (Rack, MixerStrip, ...) in the Project Modular Area and name it "Preview Monitor" then all previewing will be routed to that module.
This way you can control the preview volume and/or add effects to it and/or define to which output it should go.
- The favorite folders listed in the browser's "Where" list are the same favorites as listed/managed in the file/folder browser that pops up when you choose "Where" -> "Browse For Folder..."
In that popup window there is a favorites folder icon button via which you can manage your favorite folders.
- In MuLab you can also use the browser in a floating window via the browser's options menu or via Edit Preferences.
When the browser is docked, a single click on the splitter at its side quickly minimizes/maximizes the browser.
- The browser's setup is stored in the project file. In MuLab, you could create/update your 'New' project template so that the browser is setup as you want whenever you create a new project.
For more info on project templates, click here.