The modular editor shows the architecture of a patch i.e. all sub-modules and the connections between these modules.
For detailed info on the available modules, click here.
In MUX Modular, there are 3 types of modular signals: Audio (red), Event (blue) and Modulation (green). You can only connect jacks of the same type.
Audio is actual audio data streaming at the audio engine's samplerate. The mono / stereo aspect is handled automatically i.e. when you're mixing a mono signal and a stereo signal the mono signal will automatically be converted to a stereo signal.
Events are messages like Note On, Note Off, Pitch Bend, Parameter Value, ...
Modulation signals are generic value signals between -100% and +100% that can modulate a parameter, e.g. a filter cutoff modulated by an ADSR envelope.
This is how it works:
All modulation signals (yes there can be multiple modulation sources for the same parameter) are added together and then added to the parameter value. So if the parameter value is in the middle = 50% and the total modulation signal is 25% the effective parameter value is 75%.
Note that the effective parameter value cannot go above 100%, so if the parameter value is 50% and the total modulation signal is 75% the effective parameter value is 100%.
When the sum of parameter value and modulation signal(s) is negative then the effective value depends whether the parameter is a unipolar or bipolar parameter.
A unipolar parameter goes from 0% to 100% (that's the numeric parameter value, on the GUI this is shown as a context-specific parameter value text), a bipolar parameter goes from -100% to 100%.
If you have a unipolar parameter value of 50% and you add a modulation value of -75% the effective value will be 0% because the unipolar parameter cannot go below 0%. Similarly a bipolar parameter value cannot go below -100%.
There are some exceptions where the modulation signal is not added but multiplyed to the parameter value. That's especially the case for gain/volume parameters. Currently the ones that use multiplication to apply the modulation are:
- Amplifier Gain
- Audio Balancer Gains
- Mixer Strip Gain
- The Volume parameters of the Audio Generators
Double-clicking a modulation cable pops up the modulation cable properties editor, where you can change the amplitude, offset and transfer curve for the modulation signal.
First the curve is applied, then the offset and amplitude.
Note that the standard modulation system only supports low frequency modulations, typically in the 0.1 - 40.0 Hz range.
Doing much faster/more complex modulations can result in inefficient CPU use and sonic artifacts as the standard modulation system is not suited for high frequency modulations.
If the standard modulation system limit is reached then a warning "A/M OVERFLOW" is shown in the CPU meter display until clicked. It will be reshown as long as such overflow is detected.
When you want to do complex high-frequency modulations, use audio-rate modulation.
Audio-rate modulation can be done using the Audio To Modulation converter.
You can connect jacks of the same signal type, and only outputs to inputs, though you can also draw the connection from input to output if you want.
Each connection also has its own properties, e.g. you can mute each connection.
You can edit the connection properties by double-clicking or right-clicking the cable, or via the context menu of one of its jacks.
Note that MUX Modular does not support feedback loops.
If you connect modula A to module B, module B to module C and module C back to module A, then there is a feedback loop.
It's highly recommended to avoid feedback loops as it may cause crashes or hangs.
The UI tries hard to prevent feedback loops, it should not be possible to create one.
- Double-click the background to add a new plug-in.
- Click a plug box to focus it.
- Drag a plug box to move it.
- Hold [Ctrl] while dragging a module to copy it.
- Double-click a plug box to open its editor. Once a plug-in editor is open, you can also use [Esc] to close it.
- Drag a connection from 1 jack to another so to connect them. Note that only jacks of the same type can be connected, and only Output <-> Input.
- Drag a connection from 1 jack to a plug box. Then MUX Modular will automatically connect it to the proper jack. Or popup a menu if there are multiple options.
- Right-click a jack for its context menu, e.g. if you want to delete a connection.
- Each connection has extra properties which can be edited by double-clicking or right-clicking the cable, or via the context menu of one of its jacks.
- Hold the mouse over a jack to view its tooltip.
- [Alt]-click on modules or cables = toggle mute.
- You can auto-arrange the modules via right-click -> Auto Arrange.
- [Ctrl]+click a connection = delete connection.